Metal rolling is a very important part of the metal forming process. Rolling mills are frequently used in metal rolling operations, which are devised in different configurations for different purposes. Here we explain these configurations of rolling mills.
General Rolling Mill Configurations
These are the general rolling mill configurations that are used in industry;
- Two-high Rolling Mills: This configuration is the most general rolling mill configuration. Two rolls are opposed to each other. They rotate in different directions and the work part’s thickness is reduced.
- Non-reversing Rolling Mills: Actually, this type of rolling mill configuration is a type of two-high rolling mill. In non-reversing rolling mills, opposing rollers are rotating in the same direction.
- Reversing Rolling Mills: This is the other type of two-high rolling mill. And the opposing rolls are rotating in opposite directions. The advantage of the reversing rolling mill is that the work part can be passed in either direction. So work part can pass through several times in the same rolling mill.
- Three-high Rolling Mills: In a three-high rolling mill configuration, three rolls are placed face to face. With the reverse rotations of these rolls, the work part can be passed through these two rolling mechanisms consecutively. After each pass, the work part must be oriented to another pass. Some moving and elevator mechanisms can be required.
- Four-high Rolling Mills: For the higher rolling forces, four-high rolling mills can be used. There are one small-diameter roll set and the other two big diameter rolls are used to support them. With this support, elastic deformation due to the high rolling forces of the small diameter rolls is prevented.
- Cluster Rolling Mills: The purpose of the use of the cluster rolling mechanisms is the same as the four-high rolling mills. For much higher forces, cluster rolling mills can be used.
- Tandem Rolling Mills: In tandem rolling mill mechanisms, multiple roll sets are consecutively placed. This series of rolling sets can be very good for serial production. Generally, this rolling mill configuration is used with continuous casting processes. The output of the continuous casting process can be used in tandem rolling mills to obtain required shapes constantly.
These are the general aspects and configurations of the rolling mill mechanisms used in metal rolling processes.
Do not forget to leave your comments and questions below about the configurations of the rolling mill mechanisms used in metal rolling processes.
Your precious feedbacks are very important to us.