If you take a look around you, there are lots of products and this makes you think that there are thousands of manufacturing processes to produce all of these products. But the situation is not like that. Yes, there are many manufacturing processes to produce customer products, but we can define the general manufacturing processes by classification. So in this article, we will show you the general classification of manufacturing processes.
Table of Contents ;
General Classification Of Manufacturing Processes
Manufacturing processes can be divided into two categories as, Processing Operations and Assembly Operations.
Processing operations have three main categories also such as; Shaping Processes, Property Enhancing Processes, Surface Processing Operations.
Assembly operations mean that, obtaining products by assembling the produced parts. So this assembly process is divided into two main categories; Permanent joining and Mechanical fastening.
- Shaping Processes: These processes depends on the material removal, deformation, and particulate processes. As you can understand that the there is an exact material movement in these processes.
- Property Enhancing Processes: There is no actual material removal or movement, generally material’s or product’s values are enhanced with heat treatments.
- Surface Processing Operations: The surface quality of produced parts is very important to define the value of the part. So surface properties of produced parts are sometimes enhanced by surface treatments or coatings.
- Permanent Joining Processes: Permanent joint means that the assembled parts can not be de-assembled again. Welding, adhesive bonding or brazing, and soldering are the general permanent joining processes.
- Mechanical Fastening: These assembly operations can be de-assembled in the future. But also there are permanent fasting methods in mechanical fastening. De-assembled solutions are generally the threaded fasteners in this group.
So this is the general classification of general manufacturing processes to produce general customer products.
If you are interested in the guidebook that is used for this article, click on the given link above or the ‘Shop Now’ button to check it from Amazon!
Do not forget to leave your comments and questions below about the classification of manufacturing processes!
Leave a Reply