The material that is called glass has an amorphous structure and has non-crystalline structure. We explained glass and glassware in lots of articles in Mechanicalland. But there is another type of material called ‘glass ceramics’. Here, we will explain the chemistry, properties, and applications of glass-ceramics below.
If you are interested in the recommended book about ceramic materials in mechanical engineering by Mechanicalland, click on the given link or the ‘Shop Now’ button to check it from Amazon!
What Is Glass-Ceramic?
As we stated above, to obtain a glassy state for materials, the non-crystalline structure must be obtained. The chemical or molecular structure of glass-ceramics can be explained by this phenomenon. Glass-ceramics, basically glass that has a crystalline structure. The chemical composition of glass-ceramics is the same as conventional glass generally. This crystalline structure of glass-ceramics gives very specific properties to that material. Because of that crystalline structure, glass-ceramics have opaque structıre.
As you know that, if a material has a very fine crystalline structure, the strength of that material is high. Glass-ceramics have a very very fine crystalline structure compared with ceramics. Because of that, glass-ceramics are very high in strength.
Process Steps Of Glass-Ceramics
- General heating and forming operations that are used in glassworking.
- Cooling of shaped glass-ceramic material.
- Reheating of produced shape to create high-density crystalization nuclei zones. These high-density nuclei zones inhibit grain growth which will lead to obtaining finer grains. Some agents of nucleation are added such as P2O5, ZrO2, and TiO2.
- Heat treatment application to the glass-ceramic product after initiation of nucleation.
Corningware is the main product of that material. Glass-ceramic material is very high in strength and temperature resistance, it is very suitable for Corningware applications. Cooking ware, rocketry radomes, and heat exchanger are other main application areas of glass-ceramics.
Advantages Of Glass-Ceramics
- Glass-ceramics have very good mechanical and physical properties compared with conventional glass.
- Absence of porosity, good thermal resistance.
- Easy process parameters compared glasses. Very good control over shape, a good time to operate in the glassy state.
Glass-ceramics can be outlined like above. Do not forget to leave your comments and questions about ‘glass-ceramics and its properties below!